Have Porcelain Veneers? Care for Them the Right Way with These 6 Tips
It is a pretty well known fact that Americans care a lot about how their teeth look. Almost everyone in the United States (99.7%) say that they think having a good looking smile makes a difference for people’s social life, according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. Nearly three-quarters of all American adults think that a smile that is not attractive can hurt their career. To make their smiles look their best, people across the country turn to bonding, bleaching, crowns and the best porcelain veneers.
If you have taken the leap and have had the best porcelain veneers put in, you want to take care of them as best you can to keep them looking great. Here are some tips to keep them looking their best.
- Have and follow a good oral hygiene regimen. A big part of keeping your dental veneers looking as good as possible, you need to keep your gums and teeth as healthy as possible. You cannot have healthy teeth without taking good care of your teeth and gums. The veneers may not be vulnerable to decay, the teeth they are attached to are. You need to keep those teeth strong and healthy to keep your veneers looking their best. A good oral hygiene regimen should include:
- Regular brushing. You should brush your teeth at least twice a day though if you can do this each time you eat, that is better.
- Floss regularly. At the very least this should be done once a day before you go to bed. It is a great complement to your tooth brushing.
- Have your teeth cleaned on a regular basis.
- Do not use your teeth for things other than eating. You should never use your teeth to open bottles, crack nuts or rip open plastic packages. This is a truism that is even more true when you have veneers. Doing these things puts a lot of pressure on your teeth. Even the best porcelain veneers can have a problem surviving these actions. Just do not do them if you want your veneers to look their best.
- Do not chew on things that are hard. Do not chew ice. Do you not chew on pens, pencils or your nails. Be careful when you eat hard food like nuts or candy apples. Whenever you eat something that is hard, such as the nuts, be careful. When cared for properly, the best porcelain veneers can last you anywhere between five and ten years but too much pressure placed on them can shorten their lifespan.
- Do not eat foods or drink beverages that stain your veneers. If you can, you should avoid coffee, red wine, beets and other items that stain natural teeth. It is true that the best porcelain veneers are stain resistant, it is always a good idea to not push your luck. If you must have these things, make sure you brush your teeth afterwards. Many people simply cannot give up their coffee, for instance, so if you are careful to brush after drinking it, you should be fine.
- If you grind your teeth at night, use a mouth guard. This is a good idea for anyone with dental veneers. These oral devices can be obtained from your dentist and while they do take some getting used to, they are really great for protecting your teeth and the porcelain veneers. You should also have one if you play any contact sports. Accidents can happen any time then.
- Go to your dentist regularly. Dentists and oral hygienists recommend people go in for dental cleanings and check ups every six months. This is really important when you have even the best porcelain veneers. Your dentist can check over your mouth and help you deal with any problems they find when they are small and easy to manage. Also, having your teeth cleaned every six months will keep them healthier. Your teeth, gums and veneers will thank you.
People care about how their smile looks because it is the first thing people notice about us. This is the reason so many of us go to cosmetic dentistry experts. If you have porcelain veneers, you can keep them looking great with just a little work.